About the Wisconsin Rural Schools Alliance
The Wisconsin Rural Schools Alliance (WiRSA) is more than our state’s heritage; it’s home to almost 44% of the state’s 860,000 public school students. Rural schools share the same responsibility to the community as their suburban counterparts—to prepare all students for successful futures in a globally competitive marketplace.
WiRSA was formed to help rural school districts address the unique issues that affect rural schools as they seek to achieve the highest quality education for every student. Our members include a cross section of educators, school board members, rural community members, business leaders and other concerned individuals who want a strong voice for rural schools.
WiRSA strives to meet the unique needs of rural schools throughout the state. As such, our site is designed to be a central source for news, events and pertinent resources related to the issues faced by rural educators.
Supported by the Wisconsin Cooperative Education Services Agency (CESA) districts, the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, the UW System and rural school districts, our aim is to continually enhance and improve rural school education.
President-Elect — Mike Haynes, Agency Administrator, CESA 10
Past President — Chuck Keller, Youth Apprenticeship Coordinator, CESA 3
Board of Directors
- Diana Bohman, Regional Library Rep
- Craig Braaten, Art Teacher Cornell
- Jennifer Collins, UW System Rep, UW-Platteville
- Heather Fish, Administrator, CESA 5
- Mike Haynes, Agency Administrator, CESA 10
- Jeff Hicken, Agriculture Consultant, DPI Liaison
- Bob Houts, District Administrator, Owen-Withee
- Cheryl Gullicksrud, Agency Administrator, CESA 4
- Chuck Keller, Youth Apprenticeship Coordinator, CESA 3
- Valorie Kulesa, School Board Member, Gilman
- Mandy Lang, Technical College Rep, Mid-States
- Leah Luke, Spanish Teacher, Mauston
- Region 4 Teacher, vacant
- Ben Niehaus, District Administrator, Florence
- Gerald Roethel, School Board Member, Westby
- Gail Saari, School Board Member, Maple-Northwestern
- Robert Smudde – Pupil Service Director, Dodgeville
- Sue Todey, School Board Member, Sevastopol
- Patricia Vickman, District Administrator, Southern Door
- Karen Wendorf-Heldt, Agency Administrator, CESA 9
- Fred Yeo – Retired UWO Dean of Education (Ad Hoc)