Thank you to our Sponsors: UW-Oshkosh, National Insurance Services, Culver’s VIP Foundation, Farmers Union, CESA Foundation, Forecast5, PMA, Meemic, Ehlers, Jostens and WEA Members Benefits.
Thank you for your efforts on AB 751. We had an impact, but please continue to talk to your Senators as they will be taking up the newly amended version of this bill that passed the Assembly, when they return in March. This newer amendment is not as damaging as the earlier versions, but will still cost public schools a little over 5 million dollars in lost revenue. Attached is a document from the Legislative Fiscal Bureau showing the fiscal impact for the bill draft not the amendment, although they appear to have the same impact. Hopefully things will be quiet for the next few weeks while the legislators are out of session.
Please keep the pressure on with AB 314/SB 228 regarding the 28 ACT requirement for the Academic Excellence Scholarship. I made some headway in the Assembly to get this modified, but it is important for you to also voice your concerns. Finally, keep pressure on with the referendum bill AB 481/SB355. We need to keep reminding our legislators of the impact this will have on rural schools.
Teaching in Rural Schools Article: This article was in last week’s addition of the NREA Update. It is a rural teacher in Idaho talking about her rural experience.
Events from this Past Week:
- February 15: Educational Issues Weekly Conference call
- February 15: Initial Nonpartisan Redistricting Working Group meeting
- February 15: Senate Education Committee – Executive Session, vote on SB 492 Pilot Program for school safety tracking
- February 17: UW Systems Strategic Planning Ed. Experts Group Meeting
- February 17: Senate Committee on Universities and Technical Colleges – Public Hearing on
SB 633 Teacher Grant for working in rural areas
SB 703 Teacher Loan Program
- February 19: WPEN Meeting
Events for the Upcoming Week:
- 22: Educational Issues Weekly Conference call
- 23: Wisconsin Digital Learning Conference in Wisconsin Dells
- 25: Augusta – Meeting with Eau Claire County Farmers Union and Democrats
Resources and Grant/Scholarship Reminders:
- USDA’s RUS Distance Learning and Telemedicine Program (March 14 Deadline)
- Monsanto Fund – Farmers Grow Rural Education ( 1, 2016 toApril 1, 2016)
- 2016 Conference Save the Date: November 9-10 in Stevens Point.
- ESEA Information
- Into the Outdoors – Free Classroom Resources
- NREA Essay Contest (April 1)
- Meemic Foundation Grants for Teachers
Have a great week