Happy New Year. I hope this update finds everyone regenerated after enjoying time with family and friends over the holiday break. 2016 will be a busy year with the upcoming presidential election along with many races for our state legislature. We must continue to make our legislators and local constituents aware of the key issues facing rural education. Please continue to stay active and help to make sure our voice is heard.
I am excited to welcome the UW College System to the WiRSA membership. UW Colleges are comprised of the state’s 2-year campuses. We look forward to working with UWC now and in the future.
There is some very good information on ESEA in this week’s NREA Update.
WiRSA Board of Directors Meeting:
The WiRSA Board of Directors will be meeting in Stevens Point at 10 a.m. on Jan. 12 at the Amber Grill in the Holiday Inn.
Into the Outdoors — Free Classroom Resources
Into the Outdoors has been busy producing new episodes, expanding their educational and broadcast network, designing new website features, or winning their 11th Emmy Award! All of the videos are available for you to download free in HD or fullscreen classroom viewing so that you can view them later anywhere…whether you have Internet access or not.
Please be sure to get this information along with my earlier email out to your Library Media Specialist.
Fab Lab Grant – Reminder:
WEDC will provide grants of up to $25,000 to eligible Wisconsin public school districts for the creation and/or expansion of fabrication laboratories within the school district. Applications for the first grant year are due Jan. 22, 2016.
Events for the Upcoming Week:
- Potential meeting with Rep. Sondy Pope
- January 6: Ronnie and I will be meeting with Margaret Brill and her colleague from UWO to finalize the launch of the new website.
- January 6: I will be attending the Senate Education Hearing on SB 412, the student lifesaving bill. This will be followed by an informational hearing on the topic of Mental Health.
- January 7: I will be working with Jerry on the final transition of the WiRSA Financial Document.
- Information for the following Monsanto grants are available by accessing the following links — Growing Ag Leaders Scholarship (Nov. 15-Feb. 1)
- 2016 Conference Save the Date: Nov. 9-10 in Stevens Point
- NREA Essay Contest
- Meemic Foundation Grants for Teachers
- WiRSA Student Scholarship — Deadline Feb. 15, 2016
- USDA’s RUS Distance Learning and Telemedicine Program
- Fab Lab Grant
- 5 Share Reminder — Be sure to check 5 Share for updates
Have a great week.